Rosie Perez

Rosie Perez was born in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York City and was the daughter of Lydia Perez and Ismael Serrano an officer in the Merchant Marine. She is of Puerto Rican descent. Rosie was educated at Grover Cleveland High School, Ridgewood, Queens, New York. She later enrolled at Los Angeles City College, Los Angeles, California. Rosie Perez was just starting her second year in college, and was about to go back to New York. Her friends had invited her to a going-away party. The moment Spike Lee proposed that she participate in his movie Do the Right Thing (1989), she accepted. This would be her first big acting job. In Peter Weir's Fearless (1993) she played the part of Carla Rodrigo, for which she was nominated to win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Artistress. (She was defeated by Anna Paquin for The Piano (1993).) The Latin community was at the center for the majority of my criticism early in my career. They would go out for lunch and tell me, "Can you go and get some lessons to improve the sound of your voice?". Also, "When you're on a talk show, how can you not be outrageous and loud?". The people were so critical of my voice that they dealt me a lot of criticism. Although I tried to change my voice, it wasn't my way of speaking. My octaves dropped as I grew older which is a good thing. Now I find it flattering if a sixteen-year-old comes up and starts imitating me.Boxing is about fighting your fears. It's more about fighting for your own rights. Floyd Mayweather could be punched. Straight shot across his middle. He wouldn't blink. I understand what he is doing. (Who talked about Don Cornelius watching her dancingThen he said: Don Cornelius didn't want to see me dance . I was doing hip hop which was something that was not known to Californians. They were only acquainted with popping and locking, and so hip-hop dancing was not something they wanted to study. Don was saying, "No, no, no. You're a girl." I was like"What? It's really bizarre. Then I had to perform in high-heeled shoes. I've never danced in high heels before, and I was wearing this little tiny short dress, and it's getting up my thigh and I'm thinking, Oh my God!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maureen O'Hara Biography

Kym Whitley

Kari Matchett Biography